#FindCarolineMwatha: Search intensifies for missing Kenyan activist Related 7 dead, 136 declared missing after boat capsizes in Nigeria Human rights defender, Caroline Mwatha. Human rights defender, Caroline Mwatha.Missing Kenyan human rights activist Caroline Mwatha has been found dead after her disappearance last week Tuesday. Mwatha, a senior official at the Dandora Community Social Justice Center, disappeared on February 5, with efforts to find her initiating the trending hashtag #FindCarolineMwatha.She had been documenting cases of enforced disappearance and police extrajudicial killings, including the October 2018 murders of six Dandora residents in the Eastern part of Nairobi.A police source said that Mwatha had died from abortion-related complications.The owner of an abortion clinic and a doctor came forward and said that “they took the body to the mortuary and booked her under a different name and indicated she died of diarrhoea,” AFP reported. Six people have been arrested in connection with her death, according to Kenya’s Director of Criminal.Police sources also indicated the body was taken to the morgue on February 7, a day after she disappeared. However, this contradicts earlier reports from the family who said they had visited the mortuary but did not find Mwatha’s body. In an official press release, the Dandora Community Social Justice Centre expressed their “shock and disbelief” surrounding Mwatha’s death, describing her as “passionate about campaigns against police killings and police brutality.”The statement also expressed doubt over the police findings, noting: “We are also concerned about how the investigations about Caro’s disappearance and death was conducted and we demand for an independent autopsy to be conducted as soon as possible to ascertain the real cause of her death.” Kenyan lawyer who went missing found dead
Nurse Director Alice Wilson then reported on patient feedback, noting that a decrease in complaints in April accompanied a reduced level of activity due to COVID. It was reported that Care Assurance work had resumed. Monday’s meeting closed with an update on other activity, noting a significant increase in the use of the web-based NHS Near Me service which provides secure face-to-face appointments. A reduction in referrals into psychology was noted, and that only 1-1 sessions rather than group work could be provided at present. Child and Adolescent Mental Health Services had been working almost fully during the epidemic, and have cleared its waiting list. There was feedback that NHS Near Me has proved very popular with the majority of people who use services, parents and families. AddThis Sharing ButtonsShare to FacebookFacebookFacebookShare to TwitterTwitterTwitterShare to LinkedInLinkedInLinkedInWork to renew non-COVID services in the region is being balanced with requirements to help protect people from the virus. That was a message delivered to Dumfries and Galloway NHS Board on Monday, as Chief Executive Jeff Ace offered an update on the response to the coronavirus. Director of Finance Katy Lewis presented an update on the current financial status. She said that detailed review of the financial plan was being prepared as part of the quarter one financial position – setting out how it ties in with the resource likely to be made available from the Treasury. Mr Ace noted new requirements around testing for care home staff and highlighted that the high volume of testing had implications on resources. Mrs White acknowledged the challenge of meeting demand in some aspects of service, such as bed capacity, while also retaining the necessary arrangements to respond to an increase in cases of COVID-19. She noted the demands on staff during this period, and pointed to the support which had been provided – with Board members seeking assurances that staff were being supported to work in safe environments. In her update to the Board, NHS Dumfries and Galloway Chief Operating Officer Julie White noted an increase in the number of non-COVID patients in an acute setting. He noted that Emergency Departments had been under stress before the coronavirus outbreak, and to function amid the threat of COVID this might require a more scheduled approach, employing new forms of triaging. Mr Ace said that COVID activity remains consistently low in the region’s hospitals, but that a great deal of activity is taking place around testing for the virus – in line with national policy. He pointed to the challenges of resuming elective work at a high level of productivity whilst having to introduce steps to the patient journey involving testing and segregation to address the continuing risk of transmission. The NHS Board meetings now move from fortnightly to monthly, starting with the next meeting which takes place in July.
The St. Cloud State women’s soccer team earned a 1-1 double overtime tie with Northern State Sunday. Gabby Fleck scored the lone SCSU goal and Kenzie Hanzlik had 2 saves for the Huskies. SCSU is 8-6-2 overall and 7-5-1 in the NSIC.
HAMILTON, Bermuda (CMC) – Neil Speight has quit after 13 years as chief executive of the Bermuda Cricket Board (BCB), the latest in a string of resignations.Speight, a former board treasurer who is currently abroad on cricket business, was not immediately available for comment, but is said to have found another job.BCB president Lloyd Smith said on Friday vice-president Nyon Steede had also handed in his resignation.Four board officials have now resigned in the past six months with cricket in turmoil in the island. Treasurer Gershon Gibbons stepped down in May, followed two weeks ago by Clay Smith, who chose not to seek a new deal as national coach after his three-year contract expired three months ago.Smith, who was voted in as president last November when Lloyd Fray chose not to seek re-election, received Speight’s resignation last Friday, before receiving another e-mail on Thursday from Steede, who served as vice-president under Fray.“Nyon Steede handed in his resignation today (Thursday),” Smith said. “It’s a setback for the board that two good people have chosen to move on. Neil has the knowledge while Nyon has been a member of the executive for many years.“Neil has found another job and will be leaving, though we don’t have a date as yet. He handed in his resignation last Friday. I’m surprised at both and haven’t been able to talk to either because Neil is in Singapore representing the ICC Americas.”Steede was also not immediately available for comment.Bermuda cricket at the international level has been in the doldrums since the island qualified for the 2007 World Cup in the Caribbean when coached by former West Indies batsman Gus Logie.In the spring, Bermuda sank to a new low when they were relegated to the World Cricket League Division Five after finishing last in a tournament in Malaysia.Smith, the former national coach, said he was sad to leave the post, adding in his resignation letter: “My decision to walk away now is not an easy one, as coaching one’s country is the ultimate achievement and honour for any coach. Unfortunately, things drastically changed over the last year, as the lack of support was obviously evident.”
AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MORECoach Doc Rivers a “fan” from way back of Jazz’s Jordan ClarksonA deeply polarizing figure, Bhutto spent 30 years navigating the turbulent and often violent world of Pakistani politics, becoming in 1988 the first woman to lead a modern Muslim country. She had narrowly escaped an assassination attempt upon her return to Pakistan two months ago. Her death now presents President Pervez Musharraf with one of the most potent crises of his turbulent eight years in power, and Bush administration officials with a new challenge in their efforts to stabilize a front-line state – home to both al-Qaida and nuclear arms – in their fight against terrorism. Hallmarks of al-Qaida The attack bore hallmarks of the al-Qaida-linked militants in Pakistan. But witnesses described a sniper firing from a nearby building, raising questions about how well the government had protected her in a usually well-guarded garrison town and fueling speculation that government sympathizers had played a part. On Thursday evening, officials from the FBI and Department of Homeland Security issued a bulletin to local law enforcement agencies informing them about posts on some Islamic Web sites saying that al-Qaida was claiming responsibility for the attack, and that the plot was orchestrated by Ayman al-Zawahri, the group’s second-ranking official. One counterterrorism official in Washington said the bulletin neither confirmed nor discredited these claims. The official said American intelligence agencies had yet to come to any firm judgments about who was responsible for Bhutto’s death. RAWALPINDI, Pakistan – Benazir Bhutto, the Pakistani opposition leader and twice-serving prime minister, was assassinated Thursday evening as she left a political rally here, a scene of fiery carnage that plunged Pakistan deeper into political turmoil and ignited widespread violence by her enraged supporters. Bhutto, 54, was shot in the neck or head, according to differing accounts, as she stood in the open sunroof of a car and waved to crowds. Seconds later a suicide attacker detonated his bomb, damaging one of the cars in her motorcade, killing more than 20 people and wounding 50, the Interior Ministry said. News of her death sent angry protesters swarming the emergency ward of the nearby hospital, where doctors declared Bhutto dead at 6:16 p.m. Supporters later jostled to carry her bare wooden coffin as it began its journey to her hometown of Larkana, in southern Pakistan, for burial. In Karachi and other cities, frenzied crowds vented their rage, blocking the streets, burning tires and throwing stones. The death of Bhutto, leader of Pakistan’s largest political party, throws Pakistan’s politics into disarray less than two weeks before parliamentary elections scheduled for Jan. 8 and just weeks after a state of emergency was lifted. There was immediate speculation that elections would be postponed and another state of emergency declared. As world leaders lined up to express outrage at the killing of arguably Pakistan’s most pro-Western political figure, a grim-faced President Bush said the best way to honor her would be “by continuing with the democratic process for which she so bravely gave her life.” Speaking to reporters while vacationing at his ranch in Crawford, Texas, Bush blamed Bhutto’s death on “murderous extremists who are trying to undermine Pakistan’s democracy.” He telephoned Musharraf on Thursday afternoon. Musharraf went on national television Thursday evening, describing the killing as “a great national tragedy” and announcing a three-day national mourning. He called it a terrorist attack and vowed to continue to fight to root out the terrorists. “I appeal to the nation to remain peaceful and show restraint,” he said. Despite the president’s appeal, politicians and government officials said they feared more violence in the coming days from those protesting her death, but also from militants who would try to take advantage of the uncertain situation. One former government minister said the backlash against Musharraf could make his position untenable. “Musharraf will not be able to control the situation now,” he said. Before her return in October, Bhutto had spent nearly eight years in self-imposed exile to avoid corruption charges stemming from her time as prime minister in the 1990s. Her return had been promoted by Washington as part of an agreement to share power with Musharraf and rescue his increasingly unpopular government by giving it a more democratic face. Leading contender She was a leading contender for prime minister in the Jan. 8 elections, campaigning as an advocate for Pakistan’s return to party politics after eight years of military rule under Musharraf, who relinquished his military post only this month. She also presented herself as the candidate who could best combat growing militancy in Pakistan. Her comments condemning militancy and suicide bombing had made her a target of al-Qaida-linked militants in Pakistan. Her homecoming procession in Karachi was attacked by two bomb blasts that killed 150 supporters and narrowly missed killing her. Much of the rage over her death is nonetheless likely to be directed at Musharraf, who kept her out of power for more than eight years. The country’s other main opposition leader, another former prime minister, Nawaz Sharif, announced Thursday evening that he was pulling his party out of the elections. “This is a tragedy for her party, and a tragedy for our party and the entire nation,” Sharif said as he visited the hospital on hearing the news of her death. Elections likely postponed Tauqir Zia, a retired general who recently joined Bhutto’s party, the Pakistan People’s Party, said it seemed that elections were unlikely to go ahead now in any case. “PPP is now in turmoil for the time being,” he said. “It has to find a new leadership.” Other officials and politicians said they, too, thought elections would have to be postponed. “This is going to lead to chaos and turmoil,” said the former interior minister, Aftab Ahmed Khan Sherpao, who was nearly killed five days ago in a suicide bombing at a mosque in his home village. There were differing accounts of the attack. Zamrud Khan, a member of her party, said Bhutto was shot in the head from gunfire that originated from behind her car in a building nearby. Seconds later a suicide bomber detonated his bomb, damaging one of the cars in her motorcade and killing some 15 people on the ground, Khan said. The Interior Ministry spokesman quoted by the state news agency, The Associated Press of Pakistan, said the suicide bomber first fired on Bhutto and then blew himself up. Amid the confusion after the explosion, the site was littered with pools of blood. Shoes and caps of party workers were lying on the asphalt. More than a dozen ambulances pushed through crowds of dazed and wounded people at the scene. Witnesses described hearing firing barely a minute before the loud explosion. Sajid Hussain, who had a shrapnel wound on his left hand, said he heard at least three shots fired. “Then there was a big explosion, the earth seemed to tremble, I fell down. And everything was covered in black smoke.” Dr. Mohamed Mussadik, a top surgeon who attended to Bhutto at the hospital, said she was clinically dead on arrival and that the bullet wound was in the head, according to Athar Minallah, a lawyer who served in the Musharraf government but who has since helped lead the movement against him. Apparently no autopsy was done, because police did not request one, Dawn TV reported. Lawyers calling for an international neutral investigation are raising questions about the speed with which Bhutto’s body was moved. The body arrived in her southern home province of Sindh before dawn, party officials told Agence-France Presse.160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!
©Chicken GuyThis restaurant will be brought to life by Robert Earl (of Planet Hollywood fame) and celebrity chef Guy Fieri. These two dynamic forces are joining together once again after their recent successful collaboration at the Planet Hollywood Observatory with the upcoming eatery, Chicken Guy, which is slated to be the flagship of a brand new concept that’s being introduced by the two.There is no word on what kinds of menu items the restaurant will feature, nor do we have an opening date, however it is clear that the restaurant is currently hiring.More information about Chicken Guy will be able to be found on the blog, as I learn more about this brand new location. Share This!A brand new quick service dining location is being built for Disney Springs, as part of the Planet Hollywood Observatory and its name is going to be Chicken Guy. (I can’t make this up….and kind of wish I was.)
I’m sad to say that Josh Catone is leaving ReadWriteWeb today, to move on to a new job at a popular web development community website. Josh was the first daily writer (other than myself) to join ReadWriteWeb. He started with us in March 2007 and has been instrumental in helping ReadWriteWeb grow over the past 15 months. He will be missed by myself and the whole RWW team. We wish Josh all the best at his new gig.It’s also worth noting that Josh did a lot of editing work behind the scenes for our feature writers, such as Alex Iskold and Bernard Lunn. So he really has been a fantastic contributer to ReadWriteWeb, as both a writer and editor, and an absolute pleasure to work with.Note: there is a new writer coming on board, which I will announce in a separate post on Saturday.10 Classic Josh PostsBelow I’ve listed 10 of Josh’s posts that I’ve particularly enjoyed over the past 15 months. This is a completely subjective list. I nearly called it ‘Top 10 Josh Posts’, as a kind of inside joke that I think he would appreciate 🙂Internet Killed The Television Star: Reviews of Joost, Babelgum, Zattoo, and More — Josh’s first post on RWW, dated 6 June ’07. I believe it was after reading this post, which Josh wrote as a guest writer, that I thought: “I need to hire this guy”.Crowdsourcing: A Million Heads is Better than One — Josh’s second post! Crowdsourcing has been one of his favorite topics, see also IdeaScale – Crowdsourcing R&D (more links to his crowdsourcing posts inside that).Rolling Your Own Online OfficeWeb 2.0 Backpack: Web Apps for StudentsTop 10 Facebook Apps: Work; Top 10 Facebook Apps: Play; Top 10 Facebook Apps: Media; Top 10 Facebook Apps: Utility; Top 10 Facebook Apps: Extension — Josh has written a lot of outstanding posts about Facebook, and this 5-part series on top Facebook Apps is still a must-read.Is Facebook Worth the Hype?The Web 2.0 Election: Does the Internet Matter in Election Politics? — online politics has been another strong topic for Josh, as this post demonstrates. I always looked forward to reading his take on how the Web was becoming a part of the political process.A Big List of Sites That Teach You How To Do Stuff — still ranks as one of our most successful posts ever, proving once and for all that the Web loves lists.Beacon Saga Comes to an End: Facebook Adds Global Opt-Out, Apologizes — a great overview of the Beacon saga at Facebook.There is No Web 3.0, There is No Web 2.0 – There is Just the Web — ’nuff said!All the best Josh in your future endeavours. Stay in touch and we hope to see you regularly in the RWW comments 😉 Why Tech Companies Need Simpler Terms of Servic… Tags:#Admin#web Top Reasons to Go With Managed WordPress Hosting Related Posts 8 Best WordPress Hosting Solutions on the Market A Web Developer’s New Best Friend is the AI Wai… richard macmanus