HomeNewsDowntown Community Plan approaches final stage Dec. 14, 2016 at 8:00 amNewsDowntown Community Plan approaches final stageGuest Author4 years agocity councildaily pressdowntown santa monicaNewssanta monica newsDowntown Santa Monica (File photo) By Kate CagleDaily Press Staff WriterCity planners are hammering out the final draft of the Downtown Community Plan, or DCP: the comprehensive document that will guide development in downtown Santa Monica for the next 20 years.After two meetings and ten hours of deliberations, the Planning Commission has signed off on an urban design strategy to protect the 3rd Street Promenade and nearby historic buildings within the Bayside Conservation District. The strategy will limit the number of stories on new buildings to maintain the character of the district.“We are transferring all the height that was previously permitted to the transit area by the Expo Line,” Senior Strategic Planner Peter James said.While most new development in the district will stay relatively low, the Commission is still split on just how high to allow three major development projects: The Miramar Hotel, the Frank Gehry hotel at Ocean Avenue and Santa Monica Boulevard and the city-owned development at 4th Street and Arizona.James says simple math may lead to a compromise on the size and scale of the buildings as planners crunch numbers and figure out how the city can hit goals for increasing the number of apartments throughout Santa Monica.“The planners need to sharpen their pencils and review all of the years of feedback we’ve gotten on the plan.” James said.Over the past five years, that feedback includes a new website, 32 public meetings, three workshops, focus groups and an online survey. The DCP covers 229 acres bordered by Wilshire, the Freeway, Lincoln Blvd., and Ocean Ave.The Planning Commission has heavily debated just how high commercial developers should be allowed to build in areas outside of the Bayside. The commission favors height limits for new construction but also wants to increase the city’s stock of affordable housing.That balance is leading to compromises on streets like busy Lincoln Boulevard, where mixed-use residential apartments will likely be permitted to build up to six stories, but non-residential buildings will be limited to five. Planning commissioner Mario Fonda-Bonardi says he’s concerned more office space could make traffic congestion on Lincoln Boulevard even worse.“I’m actually quite concerned that we are building the ‘Great Wall of Lincoln’ one brick at a time,” Fonda-Bonardi said, citing concerns that traffic has already been slowed by the nearby Expo Line and freeway traffic. “And then we’re going to build even more on this poor boulevard that is one sandwich short of Bay Cities clogging up 6 miles of Lincoln.”Commissioners also want to see increased affordable housing and environmental requirements for developers building residential units in the city. Commissioner Richard McKinnon emphasized his concerns that “the culture that’s being created here by the things that are being built is a very expensive culture that only very few people can afford.”Planners will come back with their final draft in the spring of 2017. If it get’s approval from the Planning Commission, it will move to the City Council for additional [email protected] :city councildaily pressdowntown santa monicaNewssanta monica newsshare on Facebookshare on Twitteradd a commentThreats against Blue Plate Taco employeesHelp – I’m Being Evicted!You Might Also LikeFeaturedNewsBobadilla rejects Santa Monica City Manager positionMatthew Hall12 hours agoNewsCouncil picks new City ManagerBrennon Dixson22 hours agoFeaturedNewsProtesting parents and Snapchat remain in disagreement over child protection policiesClara Harter22 hours agoFeaturedNewsDowntown grocery to become mixed use developmenteditor22 hours agoNewsBruised but unbowed, meme stock investors are back for moreAssociated Press22 hours agoNewsWedding boom is on in the US as vendors scramble to keep upAssociated Press22 hours ago
Email* We’ll send you our regular newsletter and include you in our monthly giveaways. PLUS, you’ll receive our exclusive Rider Fitness digital edition with 15 exercises for more effective riding. The FEI Tribunal has issued its Final Decision in the case involving Jumping athlete Pablo Barrios (VEN).Barrios was selected for in-competition testing at the Central American and Caribbean Games in Veracruz (MEX) on November 29, 2014.Analysis of the urine sample at a World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA)-accredited laboratory revealed the presence of Hydrochlorothiazide, a diuretic, which is a Prohibited Substance under WADA’s 2014 Prohibited List.Barrios has been reprimanded, fined 1,500 CHF and will bear the legal costs of the judicial procedure.The Central American and Caribbean Sports Organisation (ODECABE – Organización Deportiva Centroamericana y del Caribe) has already disqualified Barrios’ results at this event.The FEI Tribunal’s Final Decision on this case can be viewed here. Tags: FEI Tribunal, Pablo Barrios, Subscribe to the Horse Sport newsletter and get an exclusive bonus digital edition! More from Horse Sport:Christilot Boylen Retires From Team SportAfter an exemplary career as one of Canada’s top Dressage riders, seven-time Olympian Christilot Boylen has announced her retirement from team competition.2020 Royal Agricultural Winter Fair CancelledFor only the second time in its history, The Royal Agricultural Winter Fair has been cancelled but plans are being made for some virtual competitions.Royal Agricultural Winter Fair Statement on 2020 EventAs the Province of Ontario starts to reopen, The Royal’s Board and staff will adhere to all recommendations put forward by government and health officials.Government Financial Assistance for Ontario FarmersOntario Equestrian has recently released this update of several financial assistance packages available, including those for farm business. Horse Sport Enews SIGN UP
DARLINGTON, S.C. — A South Carolina EMS employee has died after completing a patient transfer between hospitals. According to WSPA Darlington County Coroner Todd Hardee stated that Steve Phillips, of Chesterfield EMS ambulance service “˜FirstHealth’, died after he and his partner had taken a patient from Chesterfield General to another hospital. The patient was taken to McLeod Hospital in Florence County and on the return trip Phillips reportedly experienced some type of medical difficulty, according to the county coroner. Phillips’ partner attempted life-saving measures but was unsuccessful. An autopsy will be performed to determine the cause of death.
Next UpGloria was devoted to her Catholic faith and attended mass and adoration daily.She enjoyed cooking and spending time with her family and their friends.She was “Glo”, Mom and Maw Maw to many more than just her immediate family. Her home was always filled with love, laughter, and friends of the kids and grandkids.Gloria is preceded in death by her father Willie Boudreaux and her mother Eunice Cormier Boudreaux.Gloria is Survived by her loving husband, Charles Brevell; three sons, Randy Brevell and wife Ida, Bubba Brevell and wife Deena, Mark Brevell and wife Brenda; step-daughter, Charlotte Castro; granddaughters, Brooke Brevell Sangster and husband Austin, Blaire Brevell and fiance’ Jesse Benoit, Bailey Brevell, Britney Brevell, Regina Castro and Liana Castro; grandsons, David Guerra, Anthony Guerra and wife Michelle; great grandchildren, Nathan Sangster, Dylan and Drew Guerra, James and Sydney Campbell, and Gizelle and Violet Hernandez; one brother, Percy Boudreaux; and many loving nieces, nephews, and extended family.A Gathering of friends and family will be from 4:30 p.m. until 8:00 p.m., with a Rosary at 6:30 p.m. on Monday, October 21, 2019, at Grammier-Oberle Funeral Home. Gloria Ann Brevell, 79, of Groves, Texas, passed away peacefully in her home surrounded by her loving family.Gloria was born to Willie and Eunice Boudreaux on October 25, 1939, in Rayne, LA.Gloria married the love of her life Charles Brevell on September 26, 1959, and has been happily married for 60 years. The Funeral Mass to Celebrate Gloria Brevell’s life will begin at 1:00 p.m., Tuesday, October 22, 2019, at St Catherine’s Catholic Church.Rite of Committal will follow at Greenlawn Memorial Park.The Family would like to express a special appreciation and heartfelt thanks to Michael Keller, DO and Heart to Heart Hospice.
Related Global beverage giant Coca-Cola is extending its London 2012 sponsorship, by supporting the London 2012 Paralympics.Coca-Cola first sponsored the Paralympics in 1992. The Coke brand first partnered with the Olympic movement in 1928 and Coca-Cola is the longest continuous sponsor of the Olympic Games.Daryl Jelinek, General Manager of the London 2012 Coca-Cola Project Team, said in a statement, “We are proud to be extending our sponsorship of London 2012 to the Paralympic Games.”Jelinek added, “We want to be a big part of generating that inspiration and excitement on the road to 2012, using our sponsorship to motivate people across the UK and beyond to get active and to drive awareness of the Paralympics.”www.london2012.com www.coca-cola.com
The Confederation of African Football (Caf) has instructed Berekum Chelsea play their Champions League game against Al Ahly at the Accra Sports Stadium on Sunday.The directive was in response to an official request made by the club to have their Match Day four tie moved to the Baba Yara Stadium in Kumasi after an earlier request to have them reverted to their favourite Berekum Golden City Park was flatly rejected.The news comes as a blow to the dethroned Ghana Premier League champions as they were hoping to have numerous of their fans from Berekum travel to support the team in Kumasi for proximity purposes.Chelsea played their opening home game in the 3-2 win over Zamalek in Accra but attendance to the stadium was far from convincing.The club incurred several loses as a result of the low patronage in their first and only home game thus far in the continental showpiece, hence the move to have them play in Kumasi where they estimated to have a far better turn up.But Caf has declined their request, instructing them to honour the match against the Egyptian giants in the capital. Reasons for Caf’s decision is not readily known but the club says it has no other option but to adhere to the directives.“I can confirm we have been told to play in Accra and therefore we have no other option but to obey,” Chelsea’s Chief Executive Officer Nana Kwame Nketia told GHANAsoccernet.com.Caf’s fresh decision fuels the growing suspicion that The Blues are being frustrated in favour of the ‘big boys’ in their group.“I don’t know why they (Caf) are refusing to let us play in Berekum for we have satisfied all the requirements,” the club’s Accra Representative Nana Oduro-Sarfo had earlier told Accra-based Asempa FM.“We have constructed the media center, a doping room and all that is required of a stadium but yet still they say we cannot play there. “The GFA has done their bit especially the President (Kwasi Nyantakyi) but for some strange reasons we are not being allowed to play there.”Chelsea need to beat Ahlyin Accra to revive their ambitions of making the last four.They were crushed 4-1 in the first leg encounter in the game played behind closed doors at the Cairo International Stadium barely a fortnight ago.The 2010 Ghana Premier League champions currently lie third in Group B on inferior goal difference to DR Congo’s TP Mazembe with Ahly leading haven won all three previous games.
By JARROD POTTER WHAT a difference a year can make. Beaconsfield’s Holly Brettle barely made a blip at the Australian…[To read the rest of this story Subscribe or Login to the Gazette Access Pass] Thanks for reading the Pakenham Berwick Gazette. Subscribe or Login to read the rest of this content with the Gazette Digital Access Pass subscription.